The End of a Naked Wrist – Musings on The Microsoft Band

imageFor my birthday this year I picked up one of the new Microsoft Band devices. 

Like a lot of people I heard about them when they were launched … in Stealth Mode**.

**Stealth Launch Mode was quite different for Microsoft
In case you didn’t notice … it was bam-bam … launch!

Why It Took a Few Weeks to Get One

I should have gone the first day to the Microsoft Store to pick one up. Unbeknownst to me the powers that be at Microsoft created a Supply-and-Demand situation by producing limited quantities. Congrats to Microsoft for creating demand with the Stealth Launch.

However, it made it hard to obtain one of the devices. I had pretty much given up on getting one. More on that in a follow-on post. However, I happened to be at U Village near UW last weekend and on a whim walked in and ask if they had one in stock. Much to my surprise … they did! Bam!! Bought!!!

What I’ve Liked

Overall … I like it. The un-boxing experience was good. The Microsoft Store experience was good. The person helping me was great. Very friendly and knowledgeable. (PS – I also picked up another Windows Phone … the Nokia Lumia 1020 is now $49)

Improve the Customer Experience:
There is an initial step to get started that Microsoft and The Microsoft Store can improve upon. I think there should be a place at The Microsoft Store to plug it in right away to “boot it up” the first time. It only takes a few minutes to setup as it ships with over 50% charge. All I needed to do was plug it in and sync it to my Windows Phone. I wanted to walk out of the store wearing it, but couldn’t.

What I’ve Learned

image Microsoft was very clever - Both in the Stealth Mode Launch and in UI / UX Design

  • It seems I sleep less than 5 hours a night.
  • I burn around 500 calories when I’m asleep (really? I never really thought about that)
  • I walk a LOT more than I thought … on average about 3 miles a day

I’ve also learned that it’s very easy to forget it at home. I haven’t worn a watch for many years and having a “naked wrist” is not an uncommon feeling for me. So, I need to make a conscious effort to put it on before I head out for the day. I’m going to “fix” this by placing it next to my wallet and cell phone.

What’s Next?

Stay tuned. I just picked it up and have only had it for 3 days. I will continue to test and post here.

If you have a Microsoft Band let me know what you think. You can also keep up with The Microsoft Band on Facebook and Twitter.

Image Credit: Microsoft Corporation


clip_image001

Jeff is an expert in the Enterprise Content Management industry. He brings over 20 years of Channel Sales, Partner Marketing and Alliance expertise to audiences around the world in speaking engagements and via his writing. He has worked for Microsoft, Kodak, and is currently the Chief Evangelist at K2. Tweet him @jshuey or connect on LinkedIn, Facebook, or Google+ He is active in the Microsoft Partner Community and is the co-founder and President of the IAMCP Seattle chapter.

He is a contributing author to Entrepreneur, Elite Daily, Yahoo, US News and to the Personal Branding Blog.

Comments